186 Strategic review of office
(1) Strategic reviews of the OIC must be conducted under this section and sections 187 and 188.
(2) The first review under this section must be conducted within 4 years after the commencement of this section.
(3) Subject to subsection (2), a strategic review must be conducted at least every 5 years, counting from the date of the report (the earlier report) for the most recent earlier strategic review up to when the reviewer is appointed under subsection (5) to undertake the latest review.
(4) However, if the parliamentary committee reported to the Assembly about the earlier report, and the committee's report made recommendations to which a Minister was required to respond under the Parliament of Queensland Act 2001, section 107 the 5 years is counted from when the Minister's response was tabled under that section.
(5) Each strategic review must be undertaken by an appropriately qualified person (reviewer), appointed by the Governor in Council, who must give a report on the review.
(6) For subsection (5), a corporation is an appropriately qualified person if a director, employee or other staff member of the corporation is appropriately qualified to undertake the review.
(7) The terms of reference for a strategic review are to be decided by the Governor in Council.
(8) Before a reviewer is appointed to conduct a strategic review, the Minister must consult with the parliamentary committee and the information commissioner about—
(a) the appointment of the reviewer; and
(b) the terms of reference for the review.
(9) The remuneration and other terms of appointment of the reviewer are as decided by the Governor in Council.
(10) In this section—
strategic review, of the OIC, includes—
(a) a review of the commissioner's functions; and
(b) a review of the commissioner's performance of the functions to assess whether they are being performed economically, effectively and efficiently.