International Access to Information Day 2022
On 28 September we celebrate International Access to Information Day (IAI Day). This year’s theme is ‘Artificial intelligence, e-governance and access to information’.
In our ever-increasing digital world, artificial intelligence and e-governance will play an important part in improving access to information. They can help bridge the digital divide, by giving citizens access to tailor-made and accessible information. They can deliver more efficient and effective services. However, these developments also raise questions about fundamental rights and ethical use of artificial intelligence and e-governance by public agencies. Stakeholders must remain cognisant of the risks, so the use of artificial intelligence and e-governance builds trust, ensures inclusion, protects human rights and enables citizenry participation.
IAI Day raises awareness of every individual's right of access to government-held information; and the public sector’s responsibility to release information if it is in the public interest to do so. Individuals and governments from around the world can support this fundamental human right and promote open, democratic societies where citizens are empowered and participate in government.
Get involved – and show your support for International Access to Information Day!
#IAID2022 #AccessToInfoDay #RightToKnow
IAI Day resources
Resources specific to Artificial Intelligence, e-governance and access to information
- 2019 Solomon Lecture and panel discussion - Accountability in the age of the artificial by Ms Fiona McLeod SC
- 2021 Privacy Awareness Week launch by Professor Ed Santow
- Actions for Transparent and Accountable Digital Governance
- Digital Governance Fact Sheet
- Closer to the Machine - Technical, social, and legal aspects of AI
Other resources for government
- RTI myths - busted
- Admin access checklist
- Administrative release of information
- How to review and measure your agency's progress in implementing RTI
- What citizens’ legal rights to information and privacy mean for CEOs (PDF, 112.15 KB)
- What does the RTI Act mean to me as a public sector employee?
- Privacy in Local Government Booklet (PDF, 967.01 KB)
IAI Day celebrations across Australia and the world
Check out other events listed on the below sites: