Privacy in Local Government booklet
This booklet brings together new and existing resources into a handy quick reference guide for Local Government officers. The booklet links to several guidelines and resources found on the OIC website.
Templates and tools
- Personal information register template (XLSX, 250.65 KB) – catalogue your personal information holdings, and key information about those holdings.
- Privacy risk register template (XLSX, 214.67 KB) – record your privacy risks, the risk level and actions you will take to mitigate these risks.
- Threshold privacy assessment template (DOTX, 63.08 KB) – complete a threshold privacy assessment to inform whether a Privacy Impact Assessment is needed.
- IPP Privacy Impact Assessment report template (DOTX, 49.75 KB) – provides an example of content that is typically included in a Privacy Impact Assessment report.
- Decision writing template (PDF, 330.61 KB) – provides an example format covering the information that must be included in a prescribed written notice issued under the RTI Act or chapter 3 of the IP Act.
- What is personal information checklist – use this guide to determine if information is or is not personal information.
- Neither confirm nor deny checklist – assists you to determine whether an agency is entitled to neither confirm nor deny the existence of a document.
- Admin access checklist – assists agencies to identify information that may be suitable for administrative access, implement an administrative access scheme and monitor performance.
- Checklist for camera surveillance systems - use this checklist to satisfy yourself that your agency’s camera surveillance system meets the obligations in the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld).
- Report a privacy breach to OIC – use this form to notify OIC a privacy breach has occurred.
Right to Information
- Decision Making
- Processing access applications
- Administration of justice and legal remedies: applying Willsford
- Access applications and third party personal information
- Consulting with a relevant third party
- Applications for investigation, complaint and regulatory agency documents
- Managing access to Digital Video Recordings
- Top Ten Privacy Myths – Busted!
- What to tell people when collecting personal information
- Camera surveillance and Privacy
- Privacy and law enforcement agencies
- Privacy and managing disaster events
- Drones and the privacy principles
- Privacy breach
- Privacy breach self-assessment tool (DOCX, 49.21 KB) – helps agencies assess risk and determine if notification is advised.
- Local Government (PDF, 247.48 KB) – website requirements checklist – helps local government meet publication scheme and disclosure log requirements, and compliance with IPPs 2 and 5.
- Desktop audit tool (XLSM, 372.12 KB) – assists agencies to audit their compliance with RTI and IP.
- Agency self-assessment tool (DOCX, 109.16 KB) – assesses agency implementation of all the obligations contained in the RTI Act and IP Act.
- Privacy self-assessment guide – assists agencies to assess their practices, procedures and activities for compliance with the IP Act.
- Flow chart – decisions under the RTI or IP Act (PDF, 177.81 KB)
- Top tips for operating drones in a privacy respectful way (PDF, 908.09 KB)
- Types of personal information poster (PDF, 439.37 KB)
- Privacy threshold assessment ‘At-A-Glance' (PDF, 131.06 KB)
- Top 5 Privacy tips for Local Government (PDF, 142.45 KB)
- Top 5 Right to Information tips for Local Government (PDF, 165.48 KB)
- What Right to Information means for Local Government (PDF, 324.99 KB)
- What privacy means for Local Government (PDF, 285.02 KB)
- Quick guide for CEOs (PDF, 160.93 KB)
- Quick guide for Councillors (PDF, 218.69 KB)
- Audit reports - We regularly review councils’ compliance and practices, identify good practice and make recommendations that are relevant to the local government sector.
OIC offer a range of training opportunities designed primarily for Queensland government agency employees and relate to understanding and applying the legislative framework.