Decision writing training
This training is open to individuals who write decisions under the Right to Information Act 2009 (Qld) and the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). The training has been specifically designed for the right to information environment. Participants will learn and practice new techniques to enhance writing clarity, understanding and persuasiveness.
Writing reasons for decision are not just a conclusion or the outcome in a particular matter. They must adequately explain the analysis which led to that conclusion or outcome. As a result, reasons identify the parties, crystallise the issues, accurately set out the relevant facts, and explain the conclusion in light of the applicable law and the arguments of the parties involved. In doing this, the reasons should be written in a style and manner that aids understanding with due consideration to the reader.
What will the training cover?
- Session 1 will explain why reasons for decisions are important particularly in the RTI and IP Act context. The session will focus on:
- the audience for decisions under the RTI and IP Acts
- the purpose of the decision
- what information the decision must contain; and
- specific issues that arise in drafting decisions under the RTI and IP Acts.
- Session 2 will focus on providing tips and tricks for clear and concise writing and explain how to structure a decision to maximise clarity and persuasiveness.
- Session 3 will involve a number of exercises to help put the skills and knowledge gained in the first two sessions in to practice.
Who will deliver the training?
The training will be facilitated by experienced Office of the Information Commissioner staff.
When and where will it be conducted?
- 9am to 12pm, Tuesday 13 November 2018.
- Australian Catholic University, Level 3, 229 Elizabeth Street Brisbane CBD.
Is there a cost?
There is no fee associated with this training.
Fees will only be incurred in accordance with the terms and conditions outlined below.
Numbers are limited to a maximum of 25
REGISTRATIONS NOW CLOSED
Nominations will close on 1 November and successful participants will be notified by 5 November.
Subscribe to our news feed to be notified of future training opportunities.
Terms and conditions:
The delivery of this training is subject to attendance numbers. Any cancellations must be advised at least 48 hours before the training commences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 3405 3074. If notice is not given the Office of the Information Commissioner reserves the right to charge any associated costs to you or your agency.