Open Data Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure the Office of the Information Commissioner (OIC) identifies, prepares and publishes relevant, accurate, high quality datasets to the Open Data Portal and OIC website in a timely manner.
This policy describes:
- the roles of staff responsible for collating and publishing data to the open data portal (www.data.qld.gov.au)
- publishing processes for maintaining content across the open data portal and OIC website
3 Scope of policy
This policy applies to all staff within the OIC and should be read in conjunction with:
4 Roles and responsibilities
Roles and responsibilities have been developed to manage and support content development through the publishing lifecycle.
4.1 Information Commissioner
The Information Commissioner is responsible for:
- approving OIC’s Open Data Strategy
- approving new open data datasets
- approving publication of endorsed open data datasets
- approving the archiving or deletion of approved open data datasets
4.2 Director, Engagement and Corporate Services
The Director, Engagement and Corporate Services is responsible for:
- establishing management and reporting structures for OIC’s open data
- endorsing Assistance and Monitoring open data datasets
4.3 Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations
The Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations is responsible for:
- overseeing the development and maintenance of OICs datasets
- seeking final approval to publish datasets tasking the Data Providers as required
- tasking the Web Manager and Communications and Stakeholder Relations Officer as required. For example to:
- maintain an OIC open data maintenance log
- publish approved datasets to the Open Data Portal and OIC website
- monitor the accuracy and use of metadata, descriptions and tags
- review the OIC Open Data Strategy annually (August)
- promote open data to staff
- raise awareness of OIC’s open data datasets with stakeholders
4.4 Office Manager
The Office Manager is responsible for:
- extracting identified statistics from OIC’s databases i.e. Contact
- seeking approval of the collected statistics from the commissioner responsible for the associated service area
- upon request from a Training and Stakeholder Relations team member, returning the requested statistics, along with confirmation of the commissioner’s approval, to the requesting Training and Stakeholder Relations team member within 5 business days.
4.5 Data Providers
Data Providers are responsible for:
- collating data as required in accordance with this policy, appropriate standards and guidelines
- identifying the need to amend, add or update OIC datasets
- ensuring all dataset content and relevant metadata is accurate and complete
- seeking endorsement of datasets from the RTI Commissioner, Privacy Commissioner or First Assistant Information Commissioner as appropriate
4.6 OIC staff
OIC staff are responsible for supporting the OIC Open Data Strategy by:
- understanding OIC’s open data principles and identifying appropriate opportunities to incorporate these into work practices
- identifying new datasets that may be suitable for release and conveying same to their supervisor
- ensuring data quality standards are maintained
The following guidelines for publishing, maintaining and archiving content are provided for staff involved in publishing OIC datasets to the Open Data Portal and OIC website.
5.1 Content approval process
All datasets must go through a quality review and endorsement process before approval to publish is sought. This process is managed offline and is coordinated by the Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations.
Data Providers must ensure only datasets endorsed by their relevant commissioner are provided to Training and Stakeholder Relations.
Once content is approved by the Information Commissioner it is to be uploaded to the OIC website and linked from the Queensland Government’s Open Data Portal.
Performance Dashboard datasets
The Communications and Stakeholder Relations Officer requests data for the performance dashboard at the start of each month. Data Providers are required to compile relevant information and provide endorsed content within 7 business days.
Data is collated by the Training and Stakeholder Relations team and provided to the Information Commissioner via the First Assistant Information Commissioner for approval to publish.
Content is uploaded to the OIC website and open data portal within 20 business days.
The statistics displayed on the performance dashboard are for information purposes only. The statistics are subject to revision; therefore, statistics presented may differ from those displayed at an earlier time. This can occur as a result of corrections made to the data and/or additional information being added or edited for quality assurance purposes.
As part of the quality assurance process there is a one month lag in the publication of statistics. For example, January statistics are published in March.
Provision of updates for all other open data datasets is the responsibility of the Data Providers. Data Providers are to submit endorsed open data datasets to the Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations as prescribed in the Frequency of Update included in Appendix 1.
Archiving or deleting datasets All requests to archive or delete an open data dataset should be made to the Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations and must include approval from the Information Commissioner as appropriate.
Feedback such as broken links or issues with datasets should be reported to the Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations.
Feedback about the content of a particular dataset should be reported to the relevant Data Provider.
Appendix 1 - Data Providers
Yearly - November
|Dataset||Description||Status||Data Providers||Frequency of Update||Open Access|
|OIC Gifts and Benefits Register||List of gifts and benefits received by OIC staff||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Consultancies and contractors||List of consultancies and contractors engaged by OIC||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Overseas travel||List of overseas travel by OIC staff||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Workforce data||Representation of women/men (permanent position) disaggregated by annual earnings||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Performance dashboard||Details of achieved performance levels for four core services||Available||Various Managers||Monthly||Yes|
|Customer satisfaction survey results - agencies||Aggregated results of survey of agencies of satisfaction regarding OIC services||Available||DECS||Yearly - March||Yes|
|Customer satisfaction survey results - applicants||Aggregated results of survey of external review applicants for reviews finalised in previous calendar year||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Training participant survey results||Aggregated OIC training participant survey results for online training courses [and workshops, webinars, training held by OIC]||Available||Manager, Training and Stakeholder Relations||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Results of 2013 Electronic audit of agency implementation of right to information and information privacy obligations||Detailed results of the 2013 electronic audit||Available||Director, Audit and Evaluation||As conducted – approx. three yearly||Yes|
|Results of 2010-11 electronic audit of Agency progress on Right to Information reforms||Detailed results of the 2010-11 electronic audit||Available||Director, Audit and Evaluation||As conducted – approx. three yearly||Yes|
|Desktop audit of agencies||List of agencies audited each financial year by desktop audit and type of review||Available||Director, Audit and Evaluation||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Results of 2010 Survey of Public Sector Attitudes to Right to Information (XLS, 72 KB)||Detailed results of 2010 Survey of Public Sector Attitudes to Right to Information||Available||Director, Audit and Evaluation||As conducted||Yes|
|Results of the 2010 Survey of Public Awareness of RTI reforms (XLS, 58.5 KB)||Detailed results of 2010 Survey of Public Awareness of RTI reforms||Available||Director, Audit and Evaluation||As conducted||Yes|
|Category and number of external review applications||Number of external review applications by type of application for review including historical data||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Number of external review applications received including ‘deemed decisions’||Number of external review applications received including number and percentage of ‘deemed decisions’, including historical data||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Profile of external review applicants making applications||Number of external review applicants by category of applicant making applications including historical data||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|External Review applications received by agency profile||Number of external review applications received from different agency sectors||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Outcome of external reviews||Number of external review applications by outcome of review||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Applications for external review by agency||Number of applications for external review about specific agencies||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|
|Outcomes for external review decisions||Type of outcome and legislative provision for decisions to refuse access to documents under the RTI Act or the IP Act||Available||DECS||Yearly - November||Yes|